🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

4e6

Started by
433 comments, last by sirGustav 16 years, 9 months ago
Quote: Original post by Programmer101
Personally I like the elements from the older contests: Earth, Fire, Wind, Water.

I'd like that.
Advertisement
I really did like the last set of elements used. I really liked the idea of effecting the player’s emotions, but this type of element really depends on who is playing. I never did finish my entry though.
Quote: Original post by reltham
Quote: Original post by Programmer101
Personally I like the elements from the older contests: Earth, Fire, Wind, Water.

I'd like that.

The problem with those elements was that they mostly encouraged innovation in graphics, not gameplay. The past two years have been good efforts to reshape this contest, but I think there's still room for improvement.

A good set of elements for the future might combine both content elements (4e4) and gameplay elements (4e5). For example: Time, Collecting, Aliens, and Tropical.
....[size="1"]Brent Gunning
To expand upon what skittleo said, the thing I really liked about 4e5s elements is that at least one had direct bearing on the GAMEPLAY, not just the setting. With 4e4, you could take near any type of game and easily change the content to be "pirates vs. robots" or something along those lines, and the core gameplay didn't need to change at all. I'm not downplaying any of the entries in 4e4 - many were very well-crafted, I'm just saying that the elements didn't directly affect the gameplay itself, just the setting and storyline.

With 4e5, the economy element meant that the gameplay itself had a directive: there had to be some sort of economy. You couldn't just take Super Mario Brothers and drop it in directly, you had to add an economy. Mario would have to be able to buy things with the coins he collected, instead of just giving out lives every 100.

I like the idea of having two of each. Two elements that limit/affect the gameplay in some way, and two that affect the setting.
is there any official news on the starting date?
Contest starts..... ..... ...... NOW!
Quote: Original post by Selsesstissan
Contest starts..... ..... ...... NOW!

Has it really started? I don't see a 4e6 page anywhere.... **Confused**
I am pretty sure if it was the real competition it would have been a staff member announcing it.

Maybe this year I will actually turn something in.
Well tomorrow begins the month of June.

Perhaps we'll hear something about 4E6!

Please? :)
The contest looks interesting, I was trying to download last years winners though and can't find any links anywhere, the top 2 entries seem to have no websites, are they on gd.net somewhere?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement