🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

4e6

Started by
433 comments, last by sirGustav 16 years, 10 months ago
I've already picked the elements. Don't worry, they're a lot better than last year's.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Naxos
I think I asked last year, but I'll do it again :)

Is there any possibility that we could vote for the elements from perhaps a list of options (8-12) ?

Might be too much trouble, I don't know...

I think that'd be a terrible idea. You make the game. It's no fun if you also get to pick the rules. The entire point in the competition is (as I see it) to make games under a set of limitations on the theme. You have to improvise and come up with fun, quirky approaches to the given elements, precisely because they're not elements you would have chosen yourself.

Would get rid of a lot of the interesting elements (because they're not straightforward enough to be voted in by the participants)

Might as well get rid of the elements and just let say "make a game, we'll judge it and find the winner".

Quote: Don't worry, they're a lot better than last year's

Hmm, do people generally consider last year's elements bad? I thought they were great fun (and more off-beat and inventive than the ones before)
I remember at the end of 4E5 there was some talk about making this year's contest a team-only affair. Will single developer games still be acceptable for 4E6?

I'm still considering whether I'll make something for this year's contest, especially if the timeline extends out over the Christmas break, but it will probably have to be something small I throw together over the course of a month and not something suitable for multiple developers.
Quote: Original post by Trapper Zoid
I remember at the end of 4E5 there was some talk about making this year's contest a team-only affair. Will single developer games still be acceptable for 4E6?

Neat idea. That would encourage more of the musicians and artists around here to get involved.
....[size="1"]Brent Gunning
Quote: Original post by skittleo
Quote: Original post by Trapper Zoid

Neat idea. That would encourage more of the musicians and artists around here to get involved.

Except I was arguing against the idea [smile]. My feeling is that if teams were made mandatory that there'll be a lot less entries; it's a lot harder to coordinate a team, especially over the internet if there's no-one you know in your local area. There could also be a lot of failed projects if one team member pulls out of a team of two, leaving the remaining interested team member with an unacceptable project.

To be honest I'd be interested in seeing how a team only contest went down, but it might be better to trial it with a smaller GDNet contest first. I know that while there's a small chance I'd enter for 4E6 with a project of my own, I wouldn't attempt a team project; I can only put in a limited amount of time and I know there's a good chance I'd have to pull out, so I wouldn't want to disappoint any potential team members.

Yeah, i think its a nice idea but it would limit the entries. It's hard enough to get a team together, harder yet to complete a team project, and even harder with deadlines.

I do think that getting artists and musicians more involved would be cool and it would be cool if kudos were offered for that, but the rules have probably already been mostly decided by now.
Single-developer games will still be possible, yes - I was persuaded that while the idea was well-intentioned, it would be unenforceable.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote: Original post by superpig
I've already picked the elements. Don't worry, they're a lot better than last year's.

Cool :)
For some reason, I didn't really like last year's elements that much. Perhaps they were too restrictive, or something. Maybe it was because you had to have all four of them. We started on a game (it was pretty cool too) but unfortunately we didn't really have the time and energy for it after a couple of months.

Any ETA on when the contest will begin and the elements will be announced? :)
------------------"Kaka e gott" - Me
Quote: Original post by Srekel
Quote: Original post by superpig

Cool :)
For some reason, I didn't really like last year's elements that much. Perhaps they were too restrictive, or something. Maybe it was because you had to have all four of them. We started on a game (it was pretty cool too) but unfortunately we didn't really have the time and energy for it after a couple of months.

Any ETA on when the contest will begin and the elements will be announced? :)

>> We're talking several weeks from now, minimum.

That was stated a few posts up.
Oh, sorry. Sounds good. :)
------------------"Kaka e gott" - Me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement