🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

4e6

Started by
433 comments, last by sirGustav 16 years, 10 months ago
Quote: Original post by superpig
Quote: Original post by userjp
This is alot harder to incorporate all 4 elements into gameplay mechanics then I thought.
Remember, you don't have to do all four.

But I want to! It's a challenge, one where i'm likely to fail, but regardless it gives me satisfaction knowing that I tried not to leave anything out.
Check out my 4E6 progress!( Personal Guarantee! You will NOT get rick-rolled. )
Advertisement
Fair enough.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

I'll have to do all four also. I have a pretty good idea of what to do for the first three, but ponies is difficult. How would you fit ponies into a sandbox like GTA3?

The elements are genius. One way or another, the games here will have to have very original storylines. Two unrelated elements mean very few cliches, and I hate cliches.
I just wanted to see if he would actually do it. Also, this test will rule out any problems with system services.
Ok. You guys are looking at ponys all wrong here. An element of the game. That makes for a wide range of possiblities. Do any of you read Looking For Group??? If not start at the begining and enjoy. But along the way see how they use Pony. example here - http://www.lfgcomic.com/page/66.

BTW my students are already fast at work coming up with ways to use pony in their designs. I am lookiing forward to what they come up with.

And SuperPig thanks for making the contest later in the year. It is a great way to get my classes involved while still working within the school calendar year.
Last year Europe, this year accountants. Oh, brudda. I'm usually not this pessimistic, but let's be honest here, a game takes a lot of time and I don't have much interest in spending the next 3 to 6 months working on something that I have no real interest in. Crystals and explosions are great but ponies and (ESPECIALLY) accountants are completely boring.

Still, I'll be tossing some ideas around. After all, I'm sure something cool can be done with ponies and there's also the option of tossing accountants out altogether.

Accountants! GEEZ! [headshake]
Quit screwin' around! - Brock Samson
Funny, accountants was what triggered my idea. Actually like the fact that there's some unusual stuff in there.
"Game Programming" in an of itself does not exist. We learn to program and then use that knowledge to make games.
I'm really liking the elements this year. At first my teammates and I were thinking how in the world were we going to fit these together into something coherent and fun, but after brainstorming together for a couple of hours we soon got a whole whiteboard full of ideas. Now we just need to decide on one and size it down until it's something that can be done within the contest's timeframe. I'm looking forward to seeing how creative people can get with these elements.
Quote: Original post by romer
I'm looking forward to seeing how creative people can get with these elements.

Where as I am scared to see what people will come up with. Na, just kidding, should be good.

P.S. This is the longest thread I have ever started! Yay!
Quote: Original post by coderx75
Last year Europe, this year accountants. Oh, brudda. I'm usually not this pessimistic, but let's be honest here, a game takes a lot of time and I don't have much interest in spending the next 3 to 6 months working on something that I have no real interest in. Crystals and explosions are great but ponies and (ESPECIALLY) accountants are completely boring.

Still, I'll be tossing some ideas around. After all, I'm sure something cool can be done with ponies and there's also the option of tossing accountants out altogether.

Accountants! GEEZ! [headshake]
Making a game is about creativity not just being good at C++. Nobody said it was supposed to be easy. And you don't have to get your game idea in the first two days, spend some time thinking not just coding...

Yus, the best thing would be to plan the whole thing out on paper first. Less distractions. I suggest using the whole first week or two on planning. I'm not opening game maker until I can play the game finish to end on paper.

And theses elements are probably the best ever. I think I've got all 4 pretty well into mine.
enalpria.uni.cc

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement