🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

4e6

Started by
433 comments, last by sirGustav 16 years, 10 months ago
Quote: Original post by d000hg
Making a game is about creativity not just being good at C++. Nobody said it was supposed to be easy. And you don't have to get your game idea in the first two days, spend some time thinking not just coding...

True, but some of us are more technical than creative. Initially, I saw this year's selection of elements to be somewhat restrictive to the less creative types (as was last year's selection), and as I said before, for such a time investment this should be something we'll all WANT to create.

But, that was my initial thoughts. I've thought about it and I see some cool ass ponies in my future. I may have even found a way for accountants to play a good part in the game and may use them after all. I'm also working on some shortcuts so the time requirement won't be too daunting.

Yep, this year's elements have the coderx75 stamp of approval. I'm all in, baby! =b
Quit screwin' around! - Brock Samson
Advertisement
Will it be a possibility to submit an entry using XNA 2.0 and C# 3.0/.NET 3.5? Those technologies should be RTM a few months before the contest ends.
Quote: Original post by CodeDemon
Will it be a possibility to submit an entry using XNA 2.0 and C# 3.0/.NET 3.5? Those technologies should be RTM a few months before the contest ends.
I'd like an answer here too. XNA 2.0 should be available December, and it would be nice to have that option.
....[size="1"]Brent Gunning
Quote: Original post by think_different
I'd like an answer here too. XNA 2.0 should be available December, and it would be nice to have that option.

Id like to go to 2.0 as well when it comes out and I do plan on using XNA for my entry:P

I'm in this one!!!! Even if it means using DarkBASIC Classic (my current language of choice) just to do the 3D stuff right!!

I thought of a good game idea called Supercell Epidemic: Alienated Warfare and I think that I can make some adjustments to it's features (thinking of an FF7-style breeding system here... except with ponies).
Most likely the n00biest programmer out there. I need a website soon so that I can share my projects with you (when done with my projects).
Quote: Original post by coderx75
Quote: Original post by d000hg
Making a game is about creativity not just being good at C++. Nobody said it was supposed to be easy. And you don't have to get your game idea in the first two days, spend some time thinking not just coding...

True, but some of us are more technical than creative. Initially, I saw this year's selection of elements to be somewhat restrictive to the less creative types (as was last year's selection), and as I said before, for such a time investment this should be something we'll all WANT to create.
It's a competition to demonstrate your ability to make an innovative, original and fun game. If you're not creative then you shouldn't be leading a game project, but working as a coder for someone who is. That's not meant as an insult. If you are really amazing at coding someone's ideas, use that talent. Teams are allowed and maybe your ability to do impossible things with shaders can be used on implementing another person's ideas. But it is not a competition for technical ability. You saw the winning entry for 4E4 right?

Quote: Original post by Yumil
Quote: Original post by think_different

Id like to go to 2.0 as well when it comes out and I do plan on using XNA for my entry:P

Currently, Microsoft allows you to redistribute XNA with your installation, thus I see no reason why that would be any different when 2.0 comes out. (Read this)

It looks like Microsoft also allows redistribution of the 3.0 framework with your application. (Read this)
Barring any major problems, I'll be adding XNA 2.0 to the list of preinstalled software after it's released. So, yes, you can consider it "supported." Same goes for .NET 3.5.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote: Original post by superpig
Barring any major problems, I'll be adding XNA 2.0 to the list of preinstalled software after it's released. So, yes, you can consider it "supported." Same goes for .NET 3.5.

Good to hear. Thanks.
....[size="1"]Brent Gunning
Quote: Original post by superpig

Thanks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement