Advertisement

[4E4] Confused about a rule? Not sure if time travel is allowed?

Started by June 05, 2005 10:58 PM
147 comments, last by superpig 19 years, 2 months ago
Is there any preference on whether the submission contains an installer, or should we just include all the required files in a directory? Also, the rules state that either zip or rar compression is acceptable - is there any particular preference?

One more thing on the topic of the submission file - is any particular naming convention expected?

- Jason Astle-Adams

I'm planning on using the free map editor, Mappy, and the Mappyal library to load these maps into the game. Is this alright?
-----------------------------Play Stompy's Revenge! Now!
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by GameCreator
Is there a size limit on the file submitted?

No, but please be reasonable. You don't want to anger the judges with long download times, and you don't want to bankrupt GDNet with bandwidth fees. [smile]

At the same time, I don't want to prevent you from having an awesome entry even if its download is 1GB. We can find ways to work around the issue, but you'll need to warn us a few weeks ahead of the submission date.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Quote: Original post by Kazgoroth
Is there any preference on whether the submission contains an installer, or should we just include all the required files in a directory?

No preference, but judges might include installation as part of the "polish" score. Most important to me is to make it easy.

Quote:
Also, the rules state that either zip or rar compression is acceptable - is there any particular preference?

I personally prefer ZIP, but there is no particular preference.

Quote:
One more thing on the topic of the submission file - is any particular naming convention expected?

There is no naming convention right now, but this is actually a good idea, and I will update the contest rules should a particular naming convention come to mind.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Quote: Original post by Stompy9999
I'm planning on using the free map editor, Mappy, and the Mappyal library to load these maps into the game. Is this alright?

That's fine.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Maybe someone else touched on this and I missed it. But I'm mostly concerned with what 'rights' you reserve for submitted games.

Does the game remain the sole property of the submitter?
Do you retain exclusive or restrictive rights of any kind to the submissions?

Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Tesseract_Hotplate
Maybe someone else touched on this and I missed it. But I'm mostly concerned with what 'rights' you reserve for submitted games.

Does the game remain the sole property of the submitter?
Do you retain exclusive or restrictive rights of any kind to the submissions?

Author retains sole property and ownership of the game. I believe that's stated in the Legal.

By submitting, the author allows GameDev.net to distribute and use your entry in any manner we desire (we don't have any current plans, but we want the option should we decide to) up to one year. Currently the wording reads "exclusive", but I will be changing it to "non-exclusive". It was a mistake.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Are .Net languages allowed? And if they are which Framework version 1.1 or 2.0 beta 2? And does the Framework Redist have to be supplied with the submission or is it assumed the judges have it already?
My JournalComputer science education cannot make anybody an expert programmer any more than studying brushes and pigment can make somebody an expert painter. (Eric Raymond)"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes itharder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg."-- Bjarne Stroustrup
Quote: Original post by TheNobleOne
Are .Net languages allowed? And if they are which Framework version 1.1 or 2.0 beta 2? And does the Framework Redist have to be supplied with the submission or is it assumed the judges have it already?

Like DirectX, .NET is something that can be easily downloaded. I would suggest you stick to 1.1 though unless you are sure 2.0 will be gold by the time the contest is due (and that the gold release doesn't have some system mangling bug that would make judges not want to update from 1.1 immediately). You will likely want to make sure you know what Managed DirectX (if applicable) release your project is built on.
Ok thanks a bunch. I know .Net FW 2.0 will be released the second half of this year sometime lol. But no definate date as of yet so I will just use 1.1.
My JournalComputer science education cannot make anybody an expert programmer any more than studying brushes and pigment can make somebody an expert painter. (Eric Raymond)"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes itharder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg."-- Bjarne Stroustrup

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement